About Comiskey Park (Original)
The original Comiskey Park, located on Chicago's South Side, was the longest-tenured ballpark in major league history when it closed after the 1990 season, having served the White Sox for 80 years. Known as "The Baseball Palace of the World" when it opened, the park was designed by Zachary Taylor Davis, who also designed Wrigley Field.
Comiskey Park was famous for its exploding scoreboard, installed by Bill Veeck in 1960, which shot off fireworks and pinwheels after every White Sox home run. The park also hosted the inaugural MLB All-Star Game in 1933, fitting for what was then the game's grandest venue.
The demolition of old Comiskey in 1991 was controversial, as many fans felt the historic park could have been renovated. The new Comiskey Park (later renamed U.S. Cellular Field, then Guaranteed Rate Field) was built directly across the street.
Fun facts
- The original scoreboard was the first "exploding" scoreboard in baseball — fireworks after every Sox homer.
- The same architect designed both Comiskey Park and Wrigley Field.
- The first MLB All-Star Game, featuring Babe Ruth's home run, was played here in 1933.
- Owner Bill Veeck once hosted "Disco Demolition Night" in 1979, causing a riot and forfeited game.
Been to Comiskey Park (Original)? Track it — along with 390+ ballparks — and build your baseball story.
Get Ballpark Bucket ListMore historical ballparks
- Cleveland Municipal Stadium · Cleveland, Ohio
- Colt Stadium · Houston, Texas
- Crosley Field · Cincinnati, Ohio
- Ebbets Field · Brooklyn, New York
- Exhibition Stadium · Toronto, Ontario